Leaving school today, I stopped in at the Angora Cafe across the street for a smoothie. As I sipped and read, I also noted the ominous darkening sky. I thought perhaps I would be wise to catch the train home soon before the heavens opened up.
It seems I had this thought about fifteen minutes too late. Standing at the Babcock Street stop, I had just a few seconds before I felt small dots of moisture. Then the drops became more frequent and larger... like speedy little peas. And then they were furious little apricots. Apricots of water dropping on my head, down my neck, puddling about my toes.
By the time the train arrived, my teeth were chattering and my gray dress was plastered against my body. Half the papers in my bag were soaked, and black rivulets of mascara traced all the way down my face.
I was a sight. I walked in the door of my apartment, ripped off my clothes, and took a nap. For four hours.
So although I'm happy to be eco-friendly and have noticed better muscle definition in my calves from all the walking I've done, today I would have welcomed a car.
No comments:
Post a Comment