Friday, October 30, 2009

poetry

One of my favorite times to be a teacher at MATCH is when I'm allowed to chaperone the class trips to Barnes & Noble. Because of a grant, we're able to buy students a book or two every month... any book they want, really. I do, however, stipulate that if I open up to the middle and find something that "would embarrass my grandmother," they need to find a different book.

Apparently, some of my students' grandmothers would approve of books like "Eat, Play, F#@k."

Fortunately, Grandmas Marilyn and Caley are not so permissive.

This week, a travelling slam poet, a suave twenty-two year old man of color visited the tenth grade English classes this week. I watched boys attempt to hide goosebumps and girls dab away tears.

About a third of the sophomores chose books of poetry this week at B&N. Notably, Tayon, Travis, and Kamari found themselves:



Hmm... it seems they've learned something after all. I raised my eyebrow and told them to use their powers wisely.

1 comment:

Joey said...

Somebody emailed me this poem last week:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nktBsI0PYPs&feature=player_embedded