That's not my point.
This is: it is tricky, tricky to eat out. Most menus have at most one meatless item, and some of those are awfully anemic in both appearance and flavor. Thus, I've been making mental notes of some of the better veggie sandwiches I've sampled in the Fort Wayne area in the last year or so, some from local restaurants and some from chains. All (relatively) easily duplicable at home.
In case any of you are in my boat, I'll share my findings:
Ingredients:
bread - sundried tomato or other, preferably homemade
herbed hummus - parsley, perhaps?
cucumber, sliced
tomato, thinly sliced
canned red pepper slices
feta cheese, crumbled
dark leafy greens
Directions:
Spread a layer of hummus on the top and bottom slices of bread. On the bottom slice, place a layer of greens, followed by feta cheese. Next, add tomato slices and red peppers. Top with cucumber and the second slice of bread.
Others to follow in my little series:
- Henry's Southwestern Something-or-Other
- Jimmy John's Avocado/Provalone Concoction
- The Firefly's Grilled Cheese
- The Firefly's Veggie Sandwich
- The Brickhouse Cafe's Veggie Wrap with Cream Cheese
cucumber, sliced
tomato, thinly sliced
canned red pepper slices
feta cheese, crumbled
dark leafy greens
Directions:
Spread a layer of hummus on the top and bottom slices of bread. On the bottom slice, place a layer of greens, followed by feta cheese. Next, add tomato slices and red peppers. Top with cucumber and the second slice of bread.
Others to follow in my little series:
- Henry's Southwestern Something-or-Other
- Jimmy John's Avocado/Provalone Concoction
- The Firefly's Grilled Cheese
- The Firefly's Veggie Sandwich
- The Brickhouse Cafe's Veggie Wrap with Cream Cheese
1 comment:
I, a carnivore, love vegetarian sandwiches. Perhaps even more than I love those with meat. There's nothing like a good vegetarian sandwich, in my opinion. I love ones that have avocado, sprouts, carrots, cucumber, and perhaps cheese. I've been craving one for the past few weeks...
Post a Comment